Yay! I finished my NaNoWriMo. I did a specialty event with Savvy Authors and Entangled Publishing for NaNoWriMo this year it was called Entangled Smack Down and it was great I met so many great people. I also learned a bit about myself.
Here are the 5 things I learned about myself –
5. I am very competitive – I probably should have already known that, but I didn’t know to what extent.
4. The book will come together if you don’t let yourself get distracted by the SNI (Shiny New Idea). We had outlines that had been looked over by editors and I was thinking that I had a pretty good story. Until I started to write it and then I started thinking like I normally do…This is crap I know I had a better idea. That is why I have a lot of stories that are started but in the TBC (to be continued) file for later. I worked through this book and I have to tell you I really love it. Not only that, but I have other stories that are going to be coming from the same group of firemen. Yay me 🙂
3. There are a lot of talented writers who are published and are still learning. That is good for me to know because I love to work on my craft and it’s good to know that the talented women (and I’m sure men, but I didn’t meet any men so I can’t speak of them) keep learning.
2. I can write 8000 words in one day. Not just any words but words that form sentences. These sentences sound pretty good in paragraphs…that work up to chapters…and go on. Good to know. huh?
1. I can do what I set out to do. I can write 50,000 in less than 30 days. I did it in 16 and that’s because I slowed down. I don’t say that to brag but I seriously didn’t think I could do something like that and do you know why? See the 5th thing I learned about myself. It’s good to know because I was competing with myself and guess what I’m always around if I want some more friendly competition.
I’m not waiting for next years NaNo to start writing competivly. I’ve got some goals for myself this 2013. One of them is I want to write 8 category romance novels. Now that I wrote it down and it’s in the internet universe I’ve thrown down my own gauntlet and it is an official challenge. Thank goodness for the 5th thing I learned about myself 🙂
Keep me honest 🙂